Saturday, October 15, 2011

Today, Mr. Potato Head is doing laundry and the coin laundromat.


If there is one thing I cannot say enough: TOKYO IS SUPER, SUPER EXPENSIVE.
How much did it cost me to do 2 loads of laundry, along with drying them for 30 minutes each?

1200 yen.. which is about 15.50$. I wish I was kidding.

So why am I paying an arm and a leg to do laundry? I'm pretty sure you figured out already:

Yupp, my host family.

They do laundry... every. single. day. Like, two loads, EVERY DAY. NO ONE NEEDS TO DO THAT MUCH LAUNDRY. Before someone says "but washing machines are smaller in Japan." NOT my families. It's actually pretty big. Whenever I try and ask to do laundry, they're all like 'ummmmm,' or pretty much saying 'No.'.. If I was at Earlham, I could give two craps less about wearing dirty clothes over again. But here, when I have no socks/underwear left, and no one lets me do laundry, I get pissy. REALLY pissy (even though I've been pissed about all this for like.. weeks now.)

I suppose if I have any "good news,"I did talk to someone yesterday about my family and how frustrated I am with them. Honestly, as much as I bitch about these people, I'd rather be miserable in this house and actually try to make it work than living in a dorm. I know if I lived in a dorm...

  • My Japanese will not improve. at all.
  • It's money I don't want to spend
  • I would probably lose my awesome commute
  • Pretty sure I'd have to pay for laundry ALL THE TIME there

Even though with this place, I'd at least have my own key. That is one of the most ANNOYING things about my family. I'm pretty sure that the family is REQUIRED to give us a key to use, and yet mine SOMETIMES let me use the kitchen key, which is another trial of fire to do.

Point is: I am getting to the point that I am sick of bitching. I am not longer afraid of being the "obnoxious American." I AM American, and I am sick of playing the passive aggressive game with my family. If they don't deal with the SIMPLE thing I want (a laundry schedule), I will not just sit there and deal with it.

In good news: First club meeting tonight for Niji no Kai, a circle I joined at Waseda. I will probably blog about it tomorrow. Hopefully it's not a total disaster.

Here's a little song I kept thinking about while doing laundry today:


I only wish I saw someone cute enough to actually feel this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment