Wednesday, October 19, 2011

This weekend, Mr. Brotato Head party hearty'd

 SO I will say this out front: The drinking age in Japan is twenty years old. Therefore, according to Japanese law, I am not doing anything illegal. This blog does not condone drinking, and therefore any actions spoken about just happen to happen. That is all.

So, I recently joined a circle/club at Waseda. It's called Niji no Kai, which is pretty much a international group which is focused on people making friends from all around the world. It's a HUGE group (according to the page, over 350 members for this year).

In case you didn't know, drinking is a BIG part of Japanese culture. Whether it is businessmen going out for drinks after work, or just hanging out, or club meetings, there is usually drinking involved during or after things. So naturally, this was the first nomikai (drinking party) of the year. A nomikai is pretty much translated as 'drink and conversation.' This nomikai was a nomihodai, which means unlimited drinks for a period of time (usually about two hours). For about 2500 yen, you get unlimited drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic. If you consider that, it is honestly a VERY good deal, even though it is STILL super expensive、IMO.


Since our group was HUGE, our pitchers just got refilled every time we finished a drink off.  However, the annoying thing is that the glasses are so small. Glasses in general seem to be tiny in Japan, which is really annoying for someone who drinks 43889247882374232 glasses of water a day, or tries to, anyway.

Otherwise, nomi kai / hodais are pretty fun. Sadly, I really wasn't in the best of moods so I didn't want to socialize that much (I had spent the entire day carrying around my laundry because no one was home / had to do laundry cause my host family is ugh).

There is another nomikai at the same place this Friday. I might go, but honestly, I'd rather be like this*


Than this....

No comments:

Post a Comment