Thursday, September 15, 2011

Today, Mr. Potato is a silly drunk.


So I wanted to start this earlier, say five days ago. But, I am just now getting around to it. Our schedules are super packed, and between trying to survive the heat and other stuff-

Oh, I should probably explain what this blog is. I mean, it's some what self-explanatory: I take pictures of Mr. potato Head doing stuff in Japan then write about what is going on in my daily life.

So far, we have donea few awesome things, such as:

* eat delicious food (okonomiyaki, sushi, soba, indian food, etc).
* gone to some awesome places (yokohama, ikebukuro, waseda campus, etc)
* meet cool people, both in the program and outisde of it

However, there are some observations I have made about Japan so far, some of which I already guessed but never had confirmation until I saw it for my own eyes:  (WARNING: I might always appear so politically correct. I'm not trying to seem racist / biased / etc, but if it comes out that way, I apologize).

*EVERYONE is always in a hurry. For example, on the escalators, it is proper to stand on the left side, so people can walk up on the right side. If you stop for a second because your subway / metro card didn't swipe, it feels like you're a HUGE bother.

* There are TONS of escalators in Japan. Like, I only really ever saw them in America in Shopping malls. They are everywhere! In the schools, in businesses, in subways, etc. It's useful, but it makes you wonder how green it is (I don't really know anything about the energy used in escalators, but eh). however, there are ones that stop once no one has walked on them for a few minutes, which is kind of cool.

* People use TONS of elevators, and yet they don't. for example, only the staff can use the stairs at the hostel I'm staying at, so we all have to cram into an elevator, and boy do we cram! Seriously, in America, it seemed like if you have more than 2 people, you can't share. Here, we're fitting at least six people each time. However, in other places, the elevators are reserved just for handicapped people/ elderly / teachers. It seems to be frowned upon to use them if you're a lazy people who doesn't want to go up six floors of escalators..


* Konbinis and Vending Machines are the staple of Japan so far. They're bascially the Starbucks of Japan in that THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. Down the street, there are two Family Marts right across the street from each other. It's pretty hilarious. However, you can get some delicious stuff there for somewhat cheap. Unless you want Arizona Tea... then it's about 4$

Okay, so I have to go take a shower / get breakfast. I've been having the unlimited breakfast across the street usuaully, but today I think I might try McD's.. and no, they have some different stuff here too.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the updates. I'm sure things will get easier once you really get past the orientation stage. appreciate all the time you are putting into posting the pictures and the blog. Remember, we love you!

    ReplyDelete