Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Today, Mr. Potato Head is drying off after being out in the typhoon!





So today was very up down, up down. First, apparently fall is typhoon season in Japan. Being from the midwest, I'm not used to anything but really bad thunder storms / ice storms, and the occasional tornado scare. However, typhoons suck. A lot. I mean, the wind is just crazy storm, and no umbrella is left unturned. I will certainly not complain about Indiana weather again anytime soon.

So today we found out more about getting cell phones. Originally, I wanted to get an iPhone, only because my iTouch is getting older, and I wanted something with which when I go back to the States, I can still get some benefits from (Bascially, it would just turn into a fancier iTouch). However, I found out the company, Soft Bank, which is the only iPhone place in Japan, you have to get a two year contract. Even worse, when you cancel, You have to pay a cancellation fee PLUS pay for ALL THE MONTHS YOU HAD LEFT. I would rather spend that money on a yukata, kthnx.

Then, I had lunch with some friends at this random place.. not really sure WHAT I ate, but it was delicious, nonetheless. Then I had to buy my commuter pass. I was SUPER THANKFUL I didn't have to return my card to the JS program yet, because I just put 5000 yen on it (little under 50$). I got home kind of late, but my okaasan had to take me to the city office so I could register as a foreigner / get under health insurance... THAT is when things got emotional.

Honestly, I have bad coping skills, which I realized today. BAAAAD coping skills. So, we were walking down the streets, and my okaasan's umbrella broke. She said something in Japanese, WHICH I couldn't understand, and then ran off. I thought she had just left me and told me to go to the station, which then I kind of freaked out. I was stuck, in the rain, alone, with NO idea where to go... so I walked up to the station, after cursing at the wind a few times, just stood there, and cried... I cried quite a bit. I just wanted to be home. I didn't want to be in this county, where I can't understand anybody, and I just wanted to go home.... finally, my okaasan just showed up, while my eyes were as red as a pothead on a three day binge, and we finally got to the city office. THANKFULLY, most of the forms were in English. I got super lucky with that... but the health insurance was super hard.... at least I'm slightly covered in case something bad happens... yay!

So otherwise, I'm just kind of bleh... I'm going to the clinic tomorrow... HOPEFULLY gonna find out why i feel so bleh other than homesickness. Hopefully better news tomorrow.. and dryer.

1 comment:

  1. I heard about the typhoon hitting Tokyo and thought of you. Wondered what it was like, now I guess you know. I think they are sort of like hurricanes.

    ReplyDelete