Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Today, Mr. Potato Head is stressing over finals and his future





So, I suppose I could just use this shot over and over until December 6th, but that would be redundant.

So on top of my thesis, I also have to write a science Lit paper, which is only 5 pages. Normally, I'd be like "meh, that's nothing." However, I am terrible at writing (hence why I am doing terrible on thesis), and I am also not very good at reading science papers.... lots and lots of math.

In good news, today I went to an information meeting about graduate schools in Japanese Studies (aka my major). I'm really stuck on what I want to do. I know first I want to get some work experience, but after that, I know I have to go to graduate school... I am just afraid because I am having a terrible time writing "just" a 30-page thesis.. how am I going to write a like, 100 - 200 page paper?

I've been trying to take my friend's / teacher's advice when it comes to both jobs and academics. My teacher probably gave me some of the best advice: work like a solider, deal with that is right in front of you. Yes, there may be all kinds of other worries about, but if you deal with that is in front of you. As for jobs, I've been told to really work for what makes you happy, and the money will come later. I'm thinking I really want to work in study abroad. I love Japan, and while I would prefer to work for a school with a large East Asian / japanese Studies department and several East Asian/Japan study abroad programs, I think if I can even just get into something involving students and study abroad, I would be pretty happy. As much as I may have complained about my experience (for examples, see this blog), I loved my experience in Japan. I would not give it up for anything in the world, and I want to go back to Japan so badly, whether to promote study abroad, teach English, or fieldwork.

I am thinking for graduate schools either Canada or the United States. One of my favorite teachers went to  school / lived in Canada, and said graduate schools there were interesting. I love America, but I also think I'd really like to try and live in Canada.... and no, not because of my boyfriend who happens to be Canadian. He's in western Canada, and I'm leaning more towards eastern Canada, although apparently Alberta has a big East Asian studies program. Plus, the price of school in Canada is much smaller than schooling the USA.

So my readers (if any of you exist still): What advice to you have for careers / post-graduate activities? Also, what do you want me to write about / see Mr. Potato Head do? Just leave me comment!

<3 The Official Photographer of Mr. P Head

1 comment:

  1. Of course, being a Virgo I love lists. Anita gave me some good advice, as I tend to overdo my lists. Pick 3 things you want to get done and write them down. do those 3 things and only those 3. When they are all done, do something fun then make a list of another 3 things. I find it helps keep me focused so I don't end up with 15 projects going at once.

    ReplyDelete